The central idea of the Bequal.app project is to develop, test and mainstream two online benchmarking tools for quality assurance in apprenticeships and work-based learning, one addressing VET providers and one addressing companies, involved in apprenticeships.
The value of apprenticeships and other forms of work based learning for students and unemployed people, such as internships and traineeships, has been recognised Europe-wide and is among the policy priorities of European Commission and Member States. In July 2013 the European Alliance for apprenticeships (EAfA) was launched as a joint initiative by DG Education, Youth, Sport, Culture and DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (EC website), as an umbrella network for a broad variety of initiatives that stakeholders can undertake to improve the quality, supply and image of apprenticeship across the EU.
The new European Social Partners joint proposal “Towards a Shared Vision of Apprenticeships” (May 2016) aiming at creating a European quality framework for apprenticeships shared by employers, trade unions and Member States will foster the Alliance.
The aims of the project are
- To develop a quality assurance framework for apprenticeship and work-based learning addressing VET providers and companies.
- To develop 2 self-assessment questionnaires for quality assurance in apprenticeship and work-based learning for VET providers and companies respectively.
- To develop an online platform on quality assurance in apprenticeship and work-based learning with various resources, documents, links, articles, videos.
- To develop two on-line benchmarking tools for quality assurance in apprenticeship and work-based learning, one addressed to VET providers and one addressed to companies.
- To establish the Bequal.app badge for companies, engaged in apprenticeships and work-based learning and demonstrate good practices.